Catalog of planetary nebulae detected by GALEX and corollary optical surveys
Primary Investigator: M. A. Gómez Muñoz
HLSP Authors: M. A. Gómez Muñoz, L. Bianchi, A. Manchado
Primary Reference(s): Gómez Muñoz et al. 2023
Citations: See ADS Statistics
Planetary nebulae (PNe) consist of an ionized envelope surrounding a hot central star (CSPN). Ultraviolet observations provide important information on both the CSPN and the nebula. The team has matched the catalog of all confirmed and possible PNe (PNcat) with the Galaxy Evolution Explorer (GALEX) UV sky surveys, the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) data release 16 (DR16), and the Panoramic Survey Telescope and Rapid Response System (Pan-STARRS) PS1 second release. A total of 671 PNe were observed by GALEX in far-UV (FUV; 1344-1786Å) and/or near-UV (NUV; 1771-2831Å) (GUVPNcat); 83 PNe were observed by SDSS (PNcatxSDSSDR16) and 1819 by Pan-STARRS (PNcatxPS1MDS). We merged these matched catalogs into GUVPNcatxSDSSDR16xPS1MDS, which contains a total of 375 PNe with UV and optical photometry over a total spectral coverage of about 1540-9610Å.
GUVPNcat, PNcatxSDSSDR16, and PNcatxPS1MDS contain tags to track multiple matches, and multiple GALEX measurements, whereas GUVPNcatxSDSSDR16xPS1MDS contains a list of unique PNe with GALEX and SDSS and/or Pan-STARRS photometry (when multiple matches exist, ad hoc flags indicate so, but only the closest match is retained in the catalog). For details about the matching parameters, and catalog content in terms of extended and point-like PNe, as well as candidate binary CSPNe, see Gómez-Muñoz et al. (2023).
- PNcat = catalog of PNe obtained from the HASH database (true, likely, and probably PNe were selected).
- GUVPNcat = catalog of PNe detected in GALEX (all multiple GALEX measurements and multiple matches retained, and flagged).
- PNcatxSDSSDR16 = catalog of PNe detected in SDSS DR16 (multiple matches are retained and flagged).
- PNcatxPS1MDS = catalog of PNe detected in Pan-STARRS PS1 MDS (multiple matches are retained and flagged).
- GUVPNcatxSDSSDR16xPS1MDS = merge of all the above catalogs, unique list of PNe (flags indicate if multiple matches exist within the match radius, but only the closest match is retained).
For additional information and other ways to download the catalogs visit the team's page (outside MAST).
Data files are named according to the following convention:
- <observatory> is the observatory used to produce the data products.
- <catalog> is the catalog type (one of "guvpncat", "guvpncatxsdssdr16xps1mds", "pncat", "pncatxps1mds" or "pncatxsdssdr16").
- <wavelength> is the wavelength.
- <exten> is the file type and extension.
Data file types:
The catalogs are available for direct download from the table below. Each .csv file is <1 MB in size. Catalog column descriptions for each catalog are linked.
|PNcat (column descriptions)|
|GUVPNcat (column descriptions)|
|PNcat x SDSSSDR16 (column descriptions)|
|PNcat x PS1MDS (column descriptions)|
|GUVPNcat x SDSSDR16 x PS1MDS (column descriptions)|